Manistee Pocket Watches
Joseph Bachner designed a low cost movement to compete with the dollar watch. He along with William Rath in 1905 entered into an agreement with the city of Manistee, MI to build a factory in the town. It was completed in 1908 and first production was in early 1909. The company did not make its own dials, jewels, and hairsprings which were purchased from Europe. The first watches were sold for $5.00. They were, for the most part, cased very cheaply. In 1911 the company was forced into bankruptcy and the factory was shut down. It was reopened for a brief time before the Bankruptcy Court permantely shut the factory in August 1912. Total production was about 60,000.
Return to OLDWATCH.COM. Home Page