Dudley Pocket Watches
1920 - 1925
A beautiful view of a Dudley View WOW WHAT A MOVEMENT. WORTH A LOOK!
William Wallace Dudley became an apprentice to a maker of ship chronometers in Canada at the age of 13. As ayoung man he moved to the United States and joined the Waltham Watch Factory in Waltham, Massachusetts. He worked for the Illinois Watch Company, the South Bend Watch Company, the Trenton Watch Company and the Hamilton Watch Company, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He left Hamilton, at the age of 69, to establish his own watch factory. Mr. Dudley was interested in freemasonry thoughout his life. In 1918, Dudley started work on a new Masonic watch with its bridge plates in the form of Masonic symbols. A prototype was made and shown to George W. Adams and John B. Wood, who were partners in a retail jewelry store in Lancaster. They became interested in Dudley and his watch. On May 20, 1920, they incorporated the Dudley Watch Company. The original project of the company was to design and build a 14, size pocket watch. This watch used many of the Waltham model 1894-1897 14-size parts. In general it was only the winding and setting mechanism and the plates that were made in the Dudley factory. The cases were furnished by the Wadsworth Watch Case Company, the Keystone Watch Case Company and the Star Watch Case Company. The dials and hands were made in Switzerland. In 1922, the first 14-size 19 jewel watches was produced. By late 1924, the company was heavily in debt and on February 20, 1925, Dudley filed for involuntary bankruptcy and it was liquidated.
Return to OLDWATCH.COM. Home Page